Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Blackberry Season 2013

We just barely caught the tail end of blackberry season this year, but it was a huge improvement over completely missing it last year! I took advantage of Andrew's day off and roped him into babysitting 5 kids so that Bess & I could go berry picking down by Juliaetta in my favorite (secret!) spot. There were a lot of tiny shriveled berries, but we still managed to pick a decent amount in two hours. She weighed hers in at 8 lbs, so I'd guess we totaled around 15 lbs between the two of us. It was a beautiful day down along the Potlatch river.
I snuck down to the river while Bess searched for better brambles...

Bess's collage, with her 8 lbs of blackberries!

The scars and fruit of our labor! We decided to do "brenner" with our two families to enjoy the yummy berries. Crepes with lemon ricotta honey filling, peaches & blackberries to top, 2 lbs of bacon, hash browns, mimosas, and hot coffee! I'd take a breakfast spread like this over a Thanksgiving turkey with all the fixings any day!



1 comment:

The Blakeys said...

Thanks for sharing your secret spot with me!