Thursday, June 23, 2011

Amara Christian Becker

"Could we hear our children speaking to us out of heaven, they would say, 'Weep not for us who are happy; we lie upon a soft pillow, even in the bosom of Christ. The Prince of Peace is embracing us and kissing us with the kisses of His lips. Be not troubled at our preferment... You are in the valley of tears, but we are on the mountain of spices. We have gotten to our harbor, but you are still tossing on the waves of inconsistency.' "  -Thomas Watson, The Art of Divine Contentment

Yesterday we began to grieve the death of our third child, Amara Christian Becker. He was with us for a seemingly short while, but the impact of his death will remain with us forever. We do not grieve a loss, because we have not lost her. Rather, we grieve a delay in the day when we will be able to hold her and rejoice with her. We will never hover over him as he works to take his first steps next winter, but we rest in the comfort that he is already walking with God in heaven, and for this we are endlessly grateful. We will never get to hear her first words, but she is already singing praises in heaven that put Handel's Hallelujah chorus to shame. I will never get to hold him in my arms and smell his sweet baby skin, but he is being cradled by the arms of our Father, whose love is perfect and far surpasses what our own could ever be. We named our child Amara, which means unfading and eternal, and Christian, which means follower of Christ and is also a family name.

This is not a private loss to us. This is not "retained products of conception". This is the loss of our son or daughter, a Child of God, made in His image. We invite our friends, family, and church body to grieve with us, as we have grieved with you in your losses and rejoiced with you in your blessings. Our eyes are red and puffy, but we do not despair. We do not weep for our baby, because our baby has been blessed. We weep for our own loss, the end of the dreams that we had for our child here on Earth. We weep because we just have to wait that much longer to see our precious little one. God has not abandoned us, but rather He is drawing us closer to Him in this.

I went in for my first appointment and after getting reacquainted with my doctor, he began the ultrasound to confirm that everything was going well. As he began to sweep the wand across my belly, I caught my first glimpse of our baby. I had been nervous already about the appointment, so seeing the baby was comforting. Then he took a measurement of the baby, and she was small. She was smaller than Eva had been at her 8 week appointment, and this one was supposed to be 9 1/2 weeks. He spent a few more minutes in silence looking around, and I could tell that the baby was small and wasn't moving. He then asked when I had gotten my first positive pregnancy test, and at that point my worst fears were confirmed. Our baby was measuring two weeks behind, and he could not find a heartbeat. He spent about 20 minutes with me talking about it, going over our options, answering questions, and giving comforting advice. I was very thankful to have the same doctor who had delivered Eva and who is a Christian and could share in our grief and our comfort.

I would like to take a second to thank our family and close friends who have stood by us and prayed with us over the past two days, but particularly my amazing husband. Andrew's attitude, sacrifice, and constant attention have always served to make my post-partum period an absolute dream for me, and he has been an incredible blessing in this situation as well.  While some husbands would hide their pain and pretend to brush it off, leaving me to grieve alone, Andrew has supported me and grieved with me and prayed with me. After all, Amara was his child just as much as she was mine. I am so thankful to God for providing me with a husband who so wonderfully models the unconditional love and care of our Heavenly Father.

Our sweet baby was greeted by aunts and uncles, great grandparents, and other children who would have been friends and classmates in heaven who have gone before us. Our child is surrounded by family and resting in the arms of God.

9 comments:

Josh and Shawna said...

Our hearts and prayers are with you and yours as you go through this heartbreak. We love you all and know that God will carry you through this grief.

Kat said...

We are still praying for you, and grieving with you. Love you so much!

katielrust said...

Betsy, I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you and our family will be praying for all of you. I have been reading a book called, Heaven is for Real: A little boys astounding journey to heaven. Its an account of a 4 year old visit to heaven when he was on his death bed. This is such an amazing book. In it it talks about this boy meeting his brother (the one he never knew his mom lost). I have never knowingly lost a baby myself but when I read this I knew that it must provide such excitement and comfort to mothers who have children waiting for them. So if you get some "free time", you might want to read it but have tissues present. It's one of those books. We love you guys!

mommab said...

I am Katherine's Mom and I just want you to know that I will be lifting you all up in our prayers, I do thank you for what you posted, it was a blessing to me as I know to many others who are grieving with you all. I do very much understand what you are going through and my prayer is that the Lord will grant you all peace and contentment.

Moriah B. said...

Hugs and prayers as you walk through this valley of death's shadow. I know how much you've prayed and longed for a new little blessing. Praise God for the short time that you had with this dear little one and may He give you peace and comfort as you grieve this loss. And may His hope spring eternal and bring you joy.

Jill said...

So glad you have each other and the family to lean on at this time. Betsy, you said things amazingly well and I can feel your love and conviction for your family! Please take care.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I am sad for your loss, so sorry. Your perspective is amazing and God's grace is evident in your life. All my love - Jenny

Gabe, Amber, Jada and Micah Carter said...

Thank you for sharing this, Betsy. You are so loved.

Melissa Joy said...

Oh Betsy! I just saw this now. I am tears, of mingled grief and joy. How thankful I am to know with utter confidence that our children are dancing together on the mountains of spices! What hope Christ gives us!
My heart aches for you as you suffer the kind of grief and pain I could never wish upon anyone. For your beautiful Amara, I rejoice. For your family, I am grieving and sitting here in brokenness.
May I also say that through my years of meeting hundreds of bereaved parents, THIS is quite possibly the single most beautiful and God-glorifying memorial that I have read. To God be the glory!
Blessed be His name.
I will pray for you, Betsy. And please do know that if I can do anything with you or for you, I am available. By God's grace.
Weeping with you today,
Melissa