Friday, January 17, 2014

Baby update!

We had an appointment with ultrasound on Wednesday at 15.5 weeks, and I will admit, I was very nervous. No specific reasons, probably just pregnancy craziness and knowing a handful of friends lately who have had devastating complications in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. But whatever the reason, I was not optimistic. Praise be to God, all of my fears were taken away in the course of the ultrasound.

With Factor V Leiden (my clotting disorder), there is always a concern for IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction) because of clots blocking the flow of nutrients to the baby. So Baby's size and growth are always of particularly interest to us. But, Baby's head is already measuring a good week+ ahead, as is its belly, while its legs are measuring an even week ahead. Overall, everything evens out to measuring a week ahead. Aaron, our biggest baby so far (via ultrasound measurements and at birth), was only measuring two or 3 days ahead at this point, so we're very interested to see how much more this one has grown at my next ultrasound in a month.
Another concern for us this time was the placenta, because there had been a little bit of fluid between the placenta and uterine wall at our 8 wk ultrasound. My OB wasn't worried about it, but I was, so I was very reassured when the wonderful ultrasound tech spent lots of time going over it with us and showing us that everything looked perfect and healthy.

An added bonus for us was that this baby gave us a very unabashed view between the legs and we are absolutely ecstatic to be having another son. :) I don't really think there's any one "perfect family" balance, but we are super excited that Aaron will have a little brother to play with and pester. Bella points out that Aaron will be happy to have someone to play "Bad Guy Games" with. :)
Again, thank you to everyone who has been praying with us for the life of this little person. I know we still have a long way to go, but I am so blessed to have hit this 15 week mark safely. God has been incredibly good to us, and we are very grateful. 


"Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
Psalm 16:9-11