Friday, June 26, 2015

June 26, 2014

No time like the first birthday to post a birth story and pictures! 

We started out the day bright and early at the Breakfast Club downtown, as per tradition. I maybe ate half of this, but it was sooooo good. Nothing like a good pre-birth fuel up!

We arrived at the hospital at 7 and everything was ready for us. Those little hats were going to go on my baby boy's head!

After getting all settled in and getting the monitors all hooked up, we could see that I was having some contractions already. I'd been having lots of pre-labor, so these contractions weren't too surprising, but then we also realized that I was already 5 cm. The pitocin finally started flowing in around 9:00.

We waited. I had been saving some episodes of Sherlock to watch during labor (thinking it would take a while.....), so we pulled out Andrew's laptop and turned one on. We got about 15 minutes into it and wow, this feels like it's moving fast. I've never been this uncomfortable so soon. This was around 9:45 or 10. So we told the nurse and she asked if we could wait till 10:30 to be checked and then we'll talk epidural. Ok. We tried waiting. But the show was getting annoying fast. Everything was getting annoying fast. I couldn't wait till 10:30. 

Around this time, Andrew texted my mom and best friend/photographer and told them to come on in. I was very uncomfortable and I remember asking my mom to just sit on the couch until I had my epidural. When the anesthetist came in (which didn't actually take too long), I was so anxious to have the pain relief that I tried taking the consent form from her a little prematurely and she jumped back a little (at least that's what I'm told - that part is a little foggy for me). After being properly informed, I signed and she started to work her magic. Oh, bliss. Once I was no longer mashing the bed controls with my forehead through each contraction, the nurses checked and I was nearly ready to go. No wonder that hurt so much. My doctor was called over from Pullman and we were ready to go around 11:30. Time to meet this little man.

This is it. Here he comes.

And Daniel William Leland Becker was born. 12:35 pm, June 26th, 2014. 

Finally in my arms.

7 lbs, 14 oz of perfection.

And we were a family of 6! 

12 months of blessings with this little man. We are so thankful for you, Daniel! The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. (Ps 16:6)

1 comment:

Melissa Joy said...

Sssshhhhh, don't tell: but I might be bawling through this beautiful post! :)